It was a particularly festive setting: Elegant evening gowns contrasted wonderfully with the raw atmosphere of the location in Berlin’s Kraftwerk. Long, festively laid tables and a large stage awaited the guests on the upper floor of the former cogeneration plant, while a champagne reception was held in the basement, followed by a large after-dinner party.
At five culinary stations, the award-winning restaurants and restaurateurs served one intermediate course and one main course each. A great opportunity to get to know the cuisine of the award winners. And at the same time an ideal opportunity to get into conversation with the other guests.
The dinner starts with homemade fennel bread, pork crust roll & onion, fennel greens & butter and pork lard with apple from the “Host of the Year 2016” Viktoria Kniely and appetizers from the restaurants of the “Gastronomic Innovators 2016” Boris Radzcun and Stephan Landwehr: Lettuce with Vinaigrette, Baltic Cod Ceviche, Fennel Salad with Parmesan and Pear, and Pomeranian Beef Tartare, served tableside.
Markus Semmler, now reigning “Berlin Master Chef” together with his team first sent a peppered tuna with lemongrass, quince jelly, vinegar shallot and wild herbs followed by a breast of black feathered chicken wrapped in bread with celery cream, wild broccoli and truffle jus.
Daniel Schmidthaler, “Master Chef of the Region 2016”, from the Alte Schule Fürstenhagen surprised with a great starter with carrot, ham broth and apricot kernel oil and a modern interpreted main course with red deer, plum and wild horseradish.
The “Rising Star of 2016”, Max Strohe from tulus lotrek, treated guests to porcini, pata negra, cherry and almond, followed by ox cheek, mole, corn and plum.
Crispy pork belly with pointed cabbage gremolata on paprika coulis as well as a potato dumpling with apricot kernel, vegetarian mushroom jus and fermented red cabbage come from the culinary arts from the “Berlin scene restaurant 2016”, Rosa Lisbert.
The gala dinner was framed by the official honors of the award winners. As laudators, the jury members will present individually made, hand-painted plates from the Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur in Berlin as well as a personalized magnum bottle of Pommery Brut Royal – including Viktoria Kniely as “Hostess of the Year 2016,” restaurant manager and sommelière at Herz & Niere, and Boris Radczun and Stephan Landwehr as “Gastronomic Innovators 2016” for the Pauly Saal, Grill Royal, dóttir and Le Petit Royal, among others.
It was a sensational and festive evening in an extraordinary setting and with a terrific range of culinary options.
Figures, data, facts about 20 years of Berlin Master Chefs
- 123 chefs and restaurateurs have been awarded so far.
- There have been around 700 nominees over the 20 years.
- Past award winners include nationally known TV chef celebrities.
- Numerous master chefs have also made international careers.
- US President Barack Obama has already been cooked for by Berlin master chefs.
- The chancellor also appreciates the culinary skills of the master chefs.
- More than 5,500 guests have attended the gala dinners of the master chefs so far.
- Over 100 different dishes were prepared at the gala dinners.
- More than 1,000 plates are prepared at a cooking island on the gala evening.
- At a gala dinner, 4,500 pieces of KPM porcelain are used.
- Around 1,000 flower arrangements have been used in 20 years of Berlin master chefs.
Many thanks to Berlin Partner for the great organization of this exciting event!
Photos: Christian Kurzeder and Alena Mohr.